Re: Cascade Update Trigger Problems

From: <dleenhouts_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Aug 2006 12:21:29 -0700

[Quoted] [Quoted] CREATE TRIGGER companyupdate ON company FOR UPDATE BEGIN
   UPDATE company
   SET companykey=1
   WHERE companykey in (2, 3, 4);
END; I know updating keys is not the most correct way to do it, but if anyone has a better way to merge these I'm all ears.

The decision regarding what companies get merged has already been made, & I have a set of keys for each set of "from" & "to" companies. In this case, I want to merge all of these companies into one. In the db they register as 4 companies, but I'm trying to clean it up so that only GE exists. But I also want all the orders/employees/other child records to be updated as well, so it's not as easy as just deleting the duplicates. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the existing database & I can't change its structure, nor can I turn back time & prevent the duplicates from getting into the database, so I have to come up with a pound of cure instead of an ounce of prevention.