Re: Enabling the PLAN_EXPLAIN table

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:31:06 -0700

Mike King wrote:
> I'm having query performance problems, so I want to run "EXPLAIN PLAN" but I
> don't have access to the PLAN_EXPLAIN table. I have told my DBA that I
> would like the able to use the "EXPLAIN PLAN" feature but she said she would
> have to reseach how to. What does she need to know to enable the "EXPLAIN
> PLAN" feature for me?

Your DBA should be replaced by management.

That said if you have Oracle 9i or before have your DBA run the following script:
utlxplan.sql
If 10g then catplan.sql

Both scripts are located at $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin

Your DBA can email me directly if they have any questions such as where to find training. ;-)

Syntax and Explain Plan demos can be found in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org under Explain Plan. Use DBMS_XPLAN to display explain plan results using one of the following scripts (located in the same directory):
utlxplp.sql (parallel)
utlxpls.sql (serial)
utlxmv.sql & utlxrw.sql (materialized views)

Your DBA should send you these files if you can't access them.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington