Re: Oracle <--> Excel, using Toad

From: Robbert van der Hoorn <removetheXinR.Xvanderhoorn_at_osait.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:41:56 +0200

"Praveen" <bpraveen2_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1152601374.944200.169580_at_b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi
> i need your help for connecting Oracle database to Excel .
> We have Oracle 7 (7.3.3.6) Parllel Server running on VMS platform
> (VMS-7.1.2).
> I would like to connect to the Oracle, through Excel running on Windows
> NT,servicepack (6a). I would like to use Toad software (Freeware), for
> this requirement.
> Now my points are:
> Is i need to install any Oracle client application on PC, then is it
> required to install Oracle 7 only,(or i can install higher version
> Oracle 9i).
> How to configure Oracle parller server to allow it to accessed by
> client application running on PC.
> Please note that iam very new to Oracle, so please elaborate your
> reply.
> Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi Praveen,

I had to check the date of your message to see if it was posted this year or far in the past...
You are using a desupported Oracle version, and an old version of NT (it's 4.0, isn't it?)
However, to connect to Oracle from Excel, you might need Oracle Objects For OLE (OO4O), or you could use an ODBC connection and configure it in Excel. OR you could export your data through Toad from the data grid to Excel (I don't know if free Toad supports this). It all depends on whether you wish to have a live connection to Oracle or just export/import your data in Excel.
I don't think OO4O is still vailable for this version, unless you still have some installation CD's yourself.. You do need SQL client for Oracle 7 on your PC to connect from TOAD to Oracle. You don' need to do anything on the server (except creating an account etc).

Robbert

Robbert Received on Tue Jul 11 2006 - 09:41:56 CEST

Original text of this message