Re: I can't find a SETUP.EXE in the SQL Plus Client ??

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:54:10 -0700

James Dennett wrote:

>> If the DBA won't help you ... there is a reason. Likely a good one.

> Your experience of DBAs clearly differs from mine, in a wide
> variety of companies. I would not expect a DBA to provide
> any assistance except possibly in creating a suitable account,
> and would not expect that in general they be would be competent
> to help with tools.

I would agree if we were not talking about SQL*Plus.

> I'm quite happy to accept that you work in organizations which
> have highly competent DBAs who are familiar with a huge number
> of different tools, but I've yet to come across such a place.

Again ... if the end-user tools wasn't SQL*Plus (or similarly TOAD, SQL*Developer) I would agree. I wouldn't expect a DBA to be involved, for example, with Crystal Reports or Banner or PeopleSoft. But if anyone is getting in with SQL*Plus a DBA should be involved or available to provide support.

Call me strange if you wish but I don't believe in giving loaded handguns to toddlers either.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington