Re: I can't find a SETUP.EXE in the SQL Plus Client ??

From: Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:50:11 +0200

[Quoted] James Dennett schrieb:

>> [DA Morgans stuff]

> Your experience of DBAs clearly differs from mine, in a wide
> variety of companies. I would not expect a DBA to provide
> any assistance except possibly in creating a suitable account,
> and would not expect that in general they be would be competent
> to help with tools.
I guess I'm one of those DBAs DA/Sybrand would throw out on sight. Got [Quoted] the 10day DBA course, rman and dataguard courses and I now run a small installation where one day downtime doesn't matter that much and security doesn't matter at all and in any case involving data corruption or serious restore stuff first thing I do is ask for help at Metalink before I dig myself in any deeper. (Has happened only once so far and we got away with 45min downtime.)

OTOH, I do install the client software on the PCs and set up accounts. And I certainly would be the one my boss would refer contractors like Patrick to. Then my job would be to talk this guy through the client installation, possibly hand him a tnsnames.ora and tell him the login data.

> (Most organizations with databases tend, in my experience, not
> even to have a full-time DBA.
That's me. I'm a programmer who runs our database as a side job. [Quoted] Our "real" administrators run the hardware and OS stuff and, unlike others here, we /do/ talk to each other.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.