Re: I can't find a SETUP.EXE in the SQL Plus Client ??

From: Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:28:43 +0200

D. Patrick schrieb:

> Whatever. I was thinking you might understand that many businesses don't
> have DBAs on staff
Nevertheless, databases don't run unattended. There is always someone whose job is to make people able to access the db. Without users, what would be the point?

> and contractors cannot always be reached, or businesses
> don't want to pay contractors for all issues.
If someone wants you to work, that guy has to reach you and you have to be able to reach him. There's you anchor point.

> This is just the reality in
> the real world, even though you're obviously lucky enough to work for a
> university that doesn't have the same constraints that small businesses
> face.
Worked with small businesses too. Typically there the guy bothering about the hardware, software or both comes to the shop when called and he knows what's going on. Might be someones grandson, but even *if* he installed oracle, he's the kid to talk to.
Besides, small businesses run mysql or sqlserver. No one dares to install oracle in a production system without knowing about it. After all it's not just inserting the CD and clicking OK on each screen.

> Sincerely,
> Your friendly stupid hacker who foolishly posts about a really stupid
> question that wouldn't affect any database security anyway.
You are not the first one trying this.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.