Re: I can't find a SETUP.EXE in the SQL Plus Client ??

From: D. Patrick <replywithinthegroup_at_thenotreal.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:48:17 GMT

"Andy Hassall" <andy_at_andyh.co.uk> wrote in message news:qice92933sfaa6t1nvsgsnmhqqmde956bh_at_4ax.com...
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:59:49 GMT, "D. Patrick"
> <replywithinthegroup_at_thenotreal.com> wrote:
>
>>I am not used to Oracle, sorry. I need the client tool to access someone
>>else's server for testing some SELECT statements I'm writing for them. I
>>went to:
>>
>>http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/sql_plus/index.html
>>
>>and I downloaded the "SQL Plus Instant Client". I just want a free
>>client
>>because I don't own the Oracle license. I downloaded it, but there are
>>just DLLs and 2 JAR files. I don't see any SETUP.EXE file to start the
>>install. What am I missing? How do I get a free Oracle client installed,
>>if possible, so I can test some SQL statements.
>
> There isn't a setup.exe. Instant Client is fairly developer-oriented; the
> general idea is that it can be bundled into the installer of apps that
> need a
> client.
>
> The installation instructions are at the bottom of:
>

> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/winsoft.html
>
> ... which basically consist of adding the directory you unzip the files
> into
> the PATH environment variable (and LD_LIBRARY_PATH for Unix).
>
> You need at least the "Basic" package for the client, and then the
> "SQL*Plus"
> package unzipped into the same directory.
> --
> Andy Hassall :: andy_at_andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
> http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool

[Quoted] [Quoted] Thank you. So I downloaded the SQL Plus zip file, too, and put the unzipped files together. That gives me one exe called "sqlplus.exe". Then, I double clicked that and it opened up in a DOS window (I was expecting some windows installer), and that windows asks me for a user and password. Huh? Where's the installer, and what user and password is it wanting from me? The directions don't cover that. Received on Tue Jun 20 2006 - 16:48:17 CEST

Original text of this message