Re: I can't find a SETUP.EXE in the SQL Plus Client ??

From: D. Patrick <replywithinthegroup_at_thenotreal.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:17:03 GMT

[Quoted] "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1150747758.818897_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...
> D. Patrick wrote:
>> I am not used to Oracle, sorry. I need the client tool to access someone
>> else's server for testing some SELECT statements I'm writing for them. I
>> went to:
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/sql_plus/index.html
>>
>> and I downloaded the "SQL Plus Instant Client". I just want a free
>> client because I don't own the Oracle license. I downloaded it, but
>> there are just DLLs and 2 JAR files. I don't see any SETUP.EXE file to
>> start the install. What am I missing? How do I get a free Oracle client
>> installed, if possible, so I can test some SQL statements.
>
> You do something you may be unfamiliar with since you aren't used to
> Oracle: You READ the documentation.
>
> But to flesh this out a bit more ... how are you going to connect to the
> server? The web? TCP/IP? Through a firewall? What version? Your post is
> dangerously short of information that might affect the answer.
>
> Whoever owns the server you are connecting to ... BTW with Oracle you
> don't connect to servers ... should be able to get you a copy of SQL*Plus.
> Alternatively you might be able to use the free download of
> SQL*Developer available at http://otn.oracle.com. Hard to tell.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> www.psoug.org

There is no documentation with that download. There is just a 2 sentence read-me file which doesn't address anything but a bug.

I will connect through TCP/IP through a firewall.

I just want to install the SQL Plus client tool for executing a few SQL statements. I can't get any software from the remote person because my contact is not technical, and it shouldn't matter if the client tool is available for download anyway. Can anyone help? Received on Mon Jun 19 2006 - 22:17:03 CEST

Original text of this message