oracle 9i on winxp..environment variable

From: sac <sachin.dhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 Jun 2006 07:55:01 -0700

[Quoted] hi everyone ,

please guide..i have oracle 9i on win xp

i installed the database successfully with all the components .but when i

logged in as scott/tiger from sql*plus window then the error was ora12560:tns protocol adapter error...or in the username

field i could type conn / as sysdba then it asked for the password i typed it

as change_on_install then also same thing...but when i go to command prompt

and type sqlplus /nolog and the conn / as sysdba then the error was ora

24314:serice handle not initialised..then i made enviorment variable in

windows ORACLE_SID and then it got started but then i deleted the

environmental variable from the list and when i did echo %ORACLE_SID% IT

SHOWED %ORACLE_SID% i.e no enviornment variable is set..then also i was able

to connect to oracle fine without that enviornment variable,also i shutdown

and restarted the oracle..it again worked fine without that enviornment

variable ..may i know why it is so.

it does not let me change ORACLE_SID from dos prompt,i have to go to system

properties in there from advanced tab it lets me change that.....why is it so

and is it true that if i have two databases on windows and i want to run any

one of them i just have to change oracle _sid and then log on to sqlplus Received on Fri Jun 16 2006 - 16:55:01 CEST

Original text of this message