Re: HTMLDB 10g

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: 2 Jun 2006 02:46:18 -0700

david.decotis_at_sitq.com wrote:
> Hello all, I am new to Oracle's HTMLDB. I have started with the self
> learning tutorial and so far I am very pleased with the way that it
> works. I have created a very basic html form with HTMLDB and it was
> quite easy considering that the form had only a few data entry fields.
> For example last_name, first_name, tel_no, fax_no and so on.
>
> My concern is that even after I quickly scanned over the tutorial, I
> was not able to see how HTMLDB handles multiple field selections. In
> my case I have a client that is required to do the following:
>
> Select all the teachers and the courses that they teach for a
> particular student.
>
> So I have created a two tables:
> 1) teacher_tb that lists all the teachers names.
> 2) course_tb that list all the courses that a teacher can teach.
>
> So in effect my client would create a student form and select 1 or many
> teachers from the teacher multivalue field and select 1 or many courses
> from the course multivalue field and then click on an action that would
> take both selections in put them all into one field.
>
> The final result would be something like this.
> Chemistry, Mr. Norman Hicks
> Physics, Mr. Mike Tesslier
> Math, Mr. Robert Pink
>

> My concern is that I am not sure how this can be done using HTMLDB.
>
> Doing this in .NET, PHP, JAVA would be very easy.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible and if so can you please direct me
> in the right direction.
>

> Many thanks
> David

[Quoted] Many-to-many relationships are resolved by a third table. You need a COURSE_TEACHER table, for example. This table would look something like:

id                    Number   -- Primary key
[Quoted] course_no       Number   -- Foreign key to COURSE table
teacher_no      Number   -- Foreign key to TEACHER table

HTH -g Received on Fri Jun 02 2006 - 11:46:18 CEST

Original text of this message