Re: Autogenerated Value

From: George Lewycky <gelewyc_at_nyct.com>
Date: 23 May 2006 14:56:44 -0700

I agree SEQUENCE is probably your easiest solution for this unless you want it conditionally based.

I have some links and examples on my website also.

http://www.geocities.com/samoracle/swSequence.htm http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/rdb/pdf/0307_sequences.pdf

Creating and viewing user sequence numbers

SQL> create sequence crmemo_counter
  2 minvalue 0
  3 maxvalue 999999999999
  4 start with 1
  5 increment by 1
  6 cache 20
  7 /
Sequence created.
SQL> select * from user_sequences;

SEQUENCE_NAME                  MIN_VALUE MAX_VALUE INCREMENT_BY C O
CACHE_SIZE LAST_NUMBER
------------------------------ --------- --------- ------------ - -
---------- -----------
CRMEMO_COUNTER                         0 1.000E+12            1 N N
    20           1
INVOICE_COUNTER                        0 1.000E+12            1 N N
    20           1
POR_REQ_NUMBER_S                       1 1.000E+27            1 N N
     0      100000
RA_TRX_NUMBER_1000_S                   1 999999999            1 N Y
    20           2

George

http://georgenet.net/oracle Received on Tue May 23 2006 - 23:56:44 CEST

Original text of this message