PLSQL Execute Immediate

From: CollyMitch <colmjmitchell_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 May 2006 09:21:37 -0700

Hi,

[Quoted] I am writing a PLSQL function to read a DYNAMIC list of required fields and then use this list to pull the required data from a table.

eg.:

getFieldsList(param1,returnedList);

execute immediate 'select '|| returnedList || ' from emp' into ???;

obviously I need to put this INTO something but I'm not sure what as the list is dynamic. If I knew there were three columns then I could put them into 3 variables. What do I do when I don't know how many there are - i.e. determined at runtime?

I was thinking of creating a record - can I create a record of type emp%rowtype and use this? What will happen if there are only 2 cols but the row type has 5?

Would I need to parse the list (it's comma seperated) and find how many cols there are?

Thanks for the help,

Colm. Received on Thu May 18 2006 - 18:21:37 CEST

Original text of this message