Intermittent SQLNET errors

From: <yoram.ayalon_at_structuredweb.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2006 09:38:07 -0800

[Quoted] Can anyone help us in determing what is the reason , and solution we hope, for this strange issue?

We are getting random errors in our oracle clients, either 8.1.7 running on win2k, or 9.2.0.1 running on win2003.

More info:

  • this is a web farm of several web servers, win2K or win2003, connecting to DB servers running 9.2.0.5 on Solaris platform. web farm is a typical OLTP system
    • a web server "hangs" for some time, does not responds to web access. This state can last seconds to minutes
    • sqlnet.log shows a "Fatal NI connect error 12560" error, details below.
    • usually when that happens, it will happen to several of our web servers, if not all, OS independent
    • during same time , the DB servers show very little activity, obviously they are not receiving requests from the web servers
    • we do not see any network errors on the switch. All machines are 100mb full duplex

we opened trace on one machine, admin level. Normally, the trace at this level recorded 2500 lines per second. Today we caught the same error. The trace file showed no error, but a period of 23 seconds in which there was no entry in the trace file at all. During that span there were 6 of the same errors recorded to sqlnet.log

our tnsnames.ora defines only TCP protocols.

Here is the details of the error we are getting. The PROGRAM might differ, as we have several clients, same the HOST and USER. Everything else all equal

Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to:

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe)(HOST=WEBSRV13)(USER=NETWORK?SERVICE))))

  VERSION INFORMATION:

	TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
	Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version
9.2.0.1.0 - Production
	Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version
9.2.0.1.0 - Production
  Time: 31-MAR-2006 11:47:41
  Tracing not turned on.
  Tns error struct:
    nr err code: 0
    ns main err code: 12560
    TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error     ns secondary err code: 0
    nt main err code: 530
    TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
    nt secondary err code: 126
    nt OS err code: 0 Received on Fri Mar 31 2006 - 19:38:07 CEST

Original text of this message