Re: Oracle forms runtime

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 11:43:15 +0100

ianal Vista wrote:

> yuvraj123_at_hotmail.co.uk wrote in news:1143153714.193228.108550
> _at_i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>

>> We are in the process of implementing an application developed using
>> Oracle forms. The application has been developed by another company and
>> it only runs in client-server mode.
>>
>> Two questions :
>>
>> a). Are people still running forms client-server applications?
>>
>> b). What licenses do we require for runtime. We have no development
>> licenses?
>>
>> I am sorry if this question has been asked before. Searching through
>> the newsgroups, I couldn't find a clear answer.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Yuvraj
>>

> Oracle C/S Forms is no longer supported.

Is it? I can still find Forms in the Certify part of metalink, which -to me- means it's still supported. Forms 6.0.8.13, Patch 4a, is certified on Win2000: Certify - Component Information
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 x86 Version: 2000 SP1+ Oracle Developer Suite Version: 1.0.2.4.1

Developer 6i (of which Forms 6.0.8 is a part) is the last version to support C/S.

Checked the desupport matrix, and it's desupported, indeed, but in extended maintenance support (EMS) and extended support (ES) programmes.

And to the OP: surely people still run C/S, why not? Not long ago there was a question about upgrading SQL*Forms 3, so there are still people out there, that have not entered the brave new graphical world of windows!
Desupported does not mean you are not allowed to use it, it just means marketing found something new to promote, and they cannot maintain all versions forever, so...

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...