Re: Database structure / Process Flow - Tools

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:30:39 -0800

mmatter_at_gmx.tm wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a short question regarding the process of combining the database
> structure with the process flow in a graphical way.
>
> I am an independent auditor at a company and this company has its
> process flows well documented. They also have a huge database w/
> terabytes of data and their whole business is running by aggregating
> data of this DWH. There is no complete overview of the whole DWH
> structure w/ all its schemes and tables.
> To get some further optimization potential and documentation I want to
> build up a "diagramm" (similar to an ER diagramm) of the whole DWH
> which has multiple level and that can be drilled down from an overview
> of the whole DWH to a table level. Further I want to connect this
> diagramm with the business processes of the company to make the
> process/data flow easier to understand.
>
> Are there any tools that have the capabilitie not only to implement ER
> diagramms but also connect those w/ business processes?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael

Do you know whether the design is a true data warehouse with FACT and DIMENSION tables set up with bitmap join indexes and such or whether it is more of a data dumpster in which data is brought in unaggregated in pretty much a copy of the source relational schemas?

What version of what product is the warehouse? And if you contact me off-line I can likely help you or refer you to someone that can.

HTH

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org