Re: Tool to check why queries miss results?

From: Andreas Koch <nospam_at_kochandreas.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:36:21 +0100

[Quoted] Sybrand Bakker wrote:

>>A) This is the Query i executed
>>B) This is what results i got (the tool can get that
>>itself of course)
>>C) This is a value i would have expected to get, but
>>didn't.
>>
>>I don't look for such a tool because i couldn't debug
>>such a problem by hand. I look for such a tool because
>>i'd prefer to debug such a problem in 5 seconds instead
>>of 5 hours. And if there is no such tool out there,
>>i'll probably go and write one myself, sooner or later.

> If the end-user/developer  doesn't supply the 'correct' values in C,
> what is going to happen?

What are not 'correct' values?
[Quoted] The values i'm after are coming from some base tables. I'm not after "why does select a+b*b+c*d never return 42" or any form of solver that could solve all possible problems.

Just one limited problem : Row from one sub-table doesn't cause a row in result set.

User types values that aren't in the base tables : Tool tells him they aren't in the base tables

User types values that are actually returned: Tool tells him they are returned

User types values that because of error or wanted filtering aren't returned: Tool tells him why the aren't returned

I don't understand your problem...

(And yes, this tool isn't suitable as helpdesk replacer. Its just a decent data orientated debugger) Received on Wed Mar 08 2006 - 19:36:21 CET

Original text of this message