Q: forms 10G date format

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 7 Mar 2006 20:09:21 -0800

Hello

[Quoted] [Quoted] I am trying to find how to set the default data format that the _database_ will use when it receives a query to run from within a 10G forms application.

I wish to allow the user to enter a date in query mode. I would like them to be able to use the same format that the forms application uses everywhere else when it display dates. For single dates there is no problem, it all works like magic, but if you use #BETWEEN then you need to quote the dates and either use to_date or the correct _database_ default date format (i.e. it's not any of the formats set within the form itself as far as I can tell).

Asking the user to use #BETWEEN and to quote the dates sounds OK to me, but I don't fancy telling them they have to use to_date or some other (to them non-standard) date format.

The forms builder help file has a blurb about "alter session" but in fact the forms pl/sql compiler rejects the command. The NLS data environment variable didn't seem to make any difference ("but I didn't reboot, better try that" he says to himself). I suppose I could parse the field myself if I define the right trigger (which one I wonder) but that sounds like a lot of bother for what should be a trivial problem.

Anyway, if someone knows how to force the 10G form's database session to use a particular default date format then I would certainly appreciate hearing it.

Thanks Received on Wed Mar 08 2006 - 05:09:21 CET

Original text of this message