Re: Tool to check why queries miss results?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 15:53:50 -0800

Andreas Koch wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>> A) This is the Query i executed
>>
>> Good so far.
>>
>>> B) This is what results i got (the tool can get that
>>> itself of course)
>>
>> Good so far.
>>
>>> C) This is a value i would have expected to get, but
>>> didn't.
>>

>> How can you possibly know what you should have expected. I
>> know you think this is possible but it isn't. Here's an
>> example. I have a table that looks like this:
>>
>> SEATTLE   January
>> LONDON    June
>> LONDON    June
>> SEATTLE   February
>> LONDON    July
>>
>> Here is my first query:
>>
>> SELECT city_name
>> FROM mytable
>> WHERE month like 'J%';
>>
>> Here is my second query:
>>
>> SELECT city_name
>> FROM mytable
>> WHERE month like 'Ju%'
>>
>> Do I have a right to complain that the tool should have known
>> I really wanted January? No. If I wrote the second query I am
>> am unqualified and need to be trained or replaced.

> You have the right to call the support or the poor guy who
> has to maintain the application.
> Then the guy types
>
> --------------------
> SELECT city_name FROM mytable WHERE month like 'Ju%'
> and
> myEntry.Month="January"
> in his magic tool.
>
> The tool checks:
> Ok, table mytable contains
> January
> June
> June
> February
> July
> Knowledge Spot 1 : Select month from mytable would return January
> Checking "where"...
> Row #1 of mytable woudl return January unfiltered
> Row #1, Month = January Filter: "January" like "Ju%"
>
> Explanation:
> You don't get myEntry.Month="January", because the 1 Row of
> mytable which contains "January" doesn't meet where-clause
> "January" like "Ju%"
> Will you buy a copy when i wrote it? ;-)

[Quoted] When the tool you want exists ... your job won't.

Because at that point the technology will have rendered you obsolete.

Take a good look at your job.

Take a good look at the value you bring to your employer.

How much automation do you realistically think it would take to replace you with a software license?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org