Re: Synchronization Wizard weirdness

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:59:37 +0100

A Nice Guy wrote:
> [Only top-posting platform and version info! More comments embedded below.]
>
> Whoops, should have known better about explaining platform and versions!
>
> Running Oracle 10g R2 on a Linux server (don't have the hardware specifics
> available).
> Using the Oracle Enterprise Manager and Oracle Change Manager packages, which
> includes the Oracle DB Synchronizer. This is the piece which is causing me
> trouble.
>
> In <dt28in$rus$1_at_news4.zwoll1.ov.home.nl> article, Frank van Bortel said:
> : A Nice Guy wrote:
> : > Hi All,
> : > I'm an old-time Informix DBA who has now switched over to Oracle. I've
> : > been learning the Oracle packages as I go.
> : >
> : > I have a Test Schema in the same database as the Main schema and need to
> : > synchronize Test with Main (all table & data mods).
> : >
> : And how did you implement this? Sorry to bother you, but the
> : crystal ball is gift-wrapped.
>
> How implemented? First I created a blank schema, then I ran the Comparison
> Wizard between the Main schema and Test schema -- obviously returned the full
> set of objects since Test was empty. Then I ran the DB Synch program which
> copied the objects and the data from Main to Test.
> That's how the Test schema was originally built.

Ah - but I'm an old guy, and like the keyboard better than a mouse :) Sorry - not familiar with that. But I should have noticed the post header, sorry for that.

> Not sure exactly what materialized views and the different forms of
> refreshing those views has anything to do with my issue. I'm dealing with
> DDL, not the underlying data (although I also move some data between the
> schemas, this is not the root of my problem).

Mike, in your original post you mention "need to synchronize Test with Main (all table & data mods)"

Data synchronization (DML) = materialized views. Data and Model (DDL & DML) sync: Streams.

Really. Takes about 20 lines of code.
Streams. Schema level.

Warning: you're at risk of learning something! :)

But if that is not the level you want to take it, I can't help you, maybe someone with more OEM experience can?

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...