Re: ORACLE RDB to Oracle 10g migration

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:19:13 -0800

db2sysc_at_gmail.com wrote:
> All.
>
> Can anyone share their experiences on Oralce RDB VAX/OpenVMS platform
> (current version Rdb 7.0.31) to Oracle 10g on Linux?
>
> 1. How to we migrate ORACLE RDB objects to Oracle 10g? This includes
> tables, indexes, DBO views, Stored Procedure, Triggers etc.
>
> 2. How do we migrate data from Oracle RDB to Oracle 10g
>
> 3. Any challenges and issue we will face in such migration
>
> 4. Any tools that can be leveraged for this Migration.

Last time I was involved in such a migration was a decade or so ago.

Based on that my instince would be:

1. Does Oracle provide a tool? If so use it.
2. If not dump your data in a form suitable for loading with SQL*Loader.
3. Bring in someone that really understands Oracle to help you, on a
case-by-case basis determine what kind of tables, indexes, etc. will give the best performance and scalability. The Oracle RDBMS is a very different animal. Your procedures and triggers should essentially be rewritten from scratch.

Things may well have changed ... I would hope so ... so take advice based on more recent experience if you can get it.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org