Re: Suggest books for beginner, and good as a reference for later use

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:54:34 -0800

Someonekicked wrote:
> This is my first Database course, and we are going to have two projects in
> oracle (which I know nothing about).
>
> The professor suggested
>
> (1) Oracle 9i Programming: A Primer (Paperback)
> by Rajshekhar Sunderraman
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321194985/qid=1137458079/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8270393-5917651?n=507846&s=books&v=glance
>
> I did a search on amazon, and found those two books with good reviews:
>
> (2) Oracle9i: The Complete Reference (Paperback)
> by Kevin Loney, George Koch
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0072225211/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-8270393-5917651?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance&n=283155
>
> (3) Expert Oracle9i Database Administration (Paperback)
> by Sam R. Alapati
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590590228/qid=1137458854/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8270393-5917651?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
>

> which book do you suggest for beginners, but also can remain as good
> reference for later use!
> any book, not just those 3 ^^
> (from previous experince, the books suggested in our university to learn and
> reference are not always the best).
>
> thx in advance!!

Personally I'd suggest several things beginning with getting a course in 10g rather than 9i. But since you are where you are ... I personally think Tom Kyte's books far superior to "The Complete Reference" ... which isn't.

You need to check with your instructor ... but from where I sit as an instructor ... http://tahiti.oracle.com is far superior t the Database Admin. book too. I don't have my students buy any books for the course except those by Kyte, Jonathan Lewis, and a few other members of the Oak Table that "really" have something to say beyond just the syntax.

Another resource you might want to access is Morgan's Library which I created for my students. You will find it at www.psoug.org.

Hope this helps.

--
Daniel A. Morgan