Re: create databae link from 10g to 9i database

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:14:28 +0100

jeffchirco_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi I am trying to create a database link on a 10g server to connect to
> a 9i server. I can create one on a 9i database to connect to another
> 9i database and I can query a table fine and I get results. When I use
> the same script on the 10g database, the database link gets created,
> but when I try to query a table on the other database I get the error:
> ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
>
> Is there something different in 10g?
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff

Nothing, but it uses a different tnsnames.ora. The 10 DB now acts as a client (towards the 9), and thus relies on the tnsnames.ora (or whatever configuration you use) on the 10 server side to resolve the 9i alias.

Time to read up on tns_admin environment variable.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...