Re: Do Raptors eat T.O.A.D.s?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 09:11:53 -0800

gareth_at_jamms.org wrote:

>>>multiple sessions?
>>>code editor?
>>>syntax highlighting?
>>>parens matching (ala good old vi 'set showmatch')
>>>pl/sql stepping debugging? (ok, haven't tried it yet, but it's in there)
>>>dbms output window?
>>>owa output window?
>>>guess it depends on how much you acheive in SQL*Plus ;-)

> Perhaps you missed the smilie at the end of my post. I find it
> interesting that certain members of this group pour scorn and derision
> over anyone who dares to enquire if there are any decent GUI's around
> to interact with Oracle.
>
> Until Oracle Corp themselves produce one. Fascinating.

You misunderstand purpose of the comments you have read.

GUIs are marvelous tools ... as far as I am concerned no competent DBA should be without one. There are things that can be done in seconds in OEM or the Grid Control that would be difficult or near impossible any other way.

But that does not mean that a GUI is a good place for a beginner to be. In a GUI environment a huge educational opportunity is lost. When you see strong revulsion to suggesting a GUI ... you will find that it almost inevitably equates to questions from someone that is new to Oracle.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org