Re: connecting to 8.0.5

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:28:30 +0100

On 27 Dec 2005 03:58:54 -0800, gpecus_at_gmail.com wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I need to connect to a remote installation of oracle 8.0.5. The current
>Instant Client (10.2) only works with 8.1.7+. I am using either Toad or
>PL/SQL developer, but I need a Oracle's native connectivity in place
>for the tools to run.
>
>What package/install can I download (please be specific as I am a very
>very beginner at Oracle) in order to have the connecitivity libraries
>available *and* working with 8.0.5?
>Can I install only the SQLPLUS and/or SQLNet from bigger installs?
>(someone suggested Forms 6i, but I'd like to know whether I should
>install the whole of it or not).
>
>TIA,
>pecus

8.0.5 has been desupported a long time ago, prior to 8.1.7 You must seriously consider whether you really want this, as likely sooner or later you will run into issues no one can resolve for you. You need to install *in a seperate Oracle Home* the Required Support Files, net 8.0, and optionally sql*plus. This will add up to some 45 Mb.
This all included in Forms 6i, as Forms 6i comes with the 8.0 client.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA