Re: Q: report 6i, vertical elasticity

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 15 Dec 2005 14:40:05 -0700

Malcolm Dew-Jones (yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca) wrote:
: This is Reports/Forms 6i patch 4A, which means Report Builder 9.0.4.0.33,
: and ORACLE Server Release 9.0.1.5.1, which might help with a solution
: though the problem is the same as in earlier versions of report builder.

: I have a report. The detail line has some fields that needs to expand
: vertically to accomodate long data. I do that with a property of
: "vertical elasticity" set to "expand", and that works just fine.

: The problem is that all the fields have borders (which are nice for
: reading the report), but the borders of the various fields do not expand
: in conjunction with any long fields, and so the bottom edges of the borders
: end up looking rather nasty if any of the fields are longer.

: Is there any formatting trick to force all the fields in that row to
: exapdn to have the same vertical size?

: I could imagine a pl/sql routine that would loop over the fields in the
: row and set the height of every field to the maximum height just before
: the row is displayed, but I haven't found any info about run-time routines
: that would enable something like that.

: Is there a runtime api to allow that sort of thing? Any other suggestions?

: Or is this just something that people live with?

Answers always spring to mind after asking the question.

I have just tried adding a vertical line from the arty palette and that has a "stretch with frame" option. I added a line at each field edge, lined up with the field border, and turned of the bottom borders. The desired affect happens. It means the report has a bunch of vertical lines though, so I don't know if that will mess up some other formatting option, but it may work for now.

A more automated solution would still be nice. Received on Thu Dec 15 2005 - 22:40:05 CET

Original text of this message