Re: Houston we have a problem

From: Marino Ljubic <mljubic_at_globalnet.hr>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:47:58 +0100

"Reportaivan" <Toth.Ivan_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1133902296.415451.203540_at_g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
> Hi friends,
>
> First, im going to present myself, Im Iván Toth from Argentina Bs As.
>
> Well, i have a doubt whit the functions of Oracle Discoverer Plus.
> I work in a firm that use this program to make diferents consults to
> the database.
> So when i create a connection to acces, this connection only remain in
> the pc that i creat it. If whit another Pc this connection desapear
> and apear the follow connection error:

Hi Argentina...

First you must distinguish private and public connections. What you created is a private connection whose details are saved in browser's cookie. That's why you don't see it in another pc, or even on a same pc but within another browser. Public connections are visible to all pcs (and browsers) and are created with AS Enterprise Manager. But with public connection, all users share the same password and connect to database as the same user with same roles, which is not good for security reasons. On the other hand, creating different public connection for every single user is not a very good idea.

The other approach is Single Sign On, where Discoverer's (and any other application's) private connection details are saved in SSO repository and created only once. Users have to remember only one (SSO) username and password, and can connect from any pc.

Regards from Croatia... Received on Thu Dec 08 2005 - 09:47:58 CET

Original text of this message