Re: 10g EM agent

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 19 Aug 2005 03:47:18 -0700

Chuck wrote:

> Anyone have a good reference for installing the 10g EM agent in a
> clustered unix environment? I'm using Veritas Cluster Services on
> Solaris 2.8.
>
> For that matter does anyone have a good reference for the emctl utility?
> The EM docs contain very little about it other than how to start and
> stop the agent with it. I'm mainly interested in the deploy option and
> finding out *exactly* what it does.

[Quoted] Chuck, I tried the OEM web-based thing on a Linux RAC cluster and disliked it intensely. Its slow and clunky. I have a problem with SYSAUX tablespace being totally consumed by what seems to be bug in collecting session stats. And the EM agent processes takes up more CPU power and memory than I'm willing to provide as coin to buy what OEM provides. (more than 1/4 on a dual CPU node)

I've disabled all OEM stuff (DBMS_JOB, agents, etc). Using my own custom-rolled Unix shell script and a pool of SQL scripts (some self-made, many borrowed from experts) for seeing what is happening in the database and what and where the problems are.

If there's one thing that has always sucked in Oracle, it is its DBA management tools. From SQL*DBA to OEM. They should look at Microsoft to see how to do it properly. Despite the limitations and restrictions in SQL-Server, their admin tool has been excellent since version 4 and only got better.

--
Billy