Re: Code in the database or middle tier (the CLR controversy)

From: Erland Sommarskog <esquel_at_sommarskog.se>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 14:14:42 +0000 (UTC)

[Quoted] DA Morgan (damorgan_at_psoug.org) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog wrote:

>> Actually, as long as we are into inner joins, both syntaxes are
>> ANSI-compatible. It is when it comes to outer joins it matter.
>> Here both SQL Server and Oracle have their own propritary operators.

> Not true. Oracle has for multiple versions now allowed either ANSI or
> ISO syntax.

[Quoted] I think you misunderstood. I don't question that Oracle has the LEFT JOIN operator and that. What I was trying to say is that it could be the case that Oracle's own outer-join operator is not as tainted as the one of SQL Server, and thus the incentive to use the ANSI syntax would not be as strong.

[Quoted] But judging from Serge Rideau's post, there are problems with (+)= as well. Although the *= of SQL Server could still be worse. As a matter of fact, in SQL 2000, *= will only be available in compatibility mode only.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel_at_sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at