Re: Code in the database or middle tier (the CLR controversy)

From: Erland Sommarskog <esquel_at_sommarskog.se>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:04:50 +0000 (UTC)

DA Morgan (damorgan_at_psoug.org) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog wrote:

>> By the way, the unexperienced developer who want to use the CLR in
>> SQL Server for this SQL Express app, actually has to pass a test:
>> he will have to find out how to enable CLR, because SQL Server 2005
>> ships with the CLR disabled by default.

> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> Now lets hope that in the time it takes the product to go from Beta
> to reality that doesn't change.

I would not really expect that. In the first betas, the switch was on by default.

The practical impact of the current state remains to see. If nothing else, it's going to be a very common question in the SQL Server newsgroups "why can't I create a stored procedure in Visual Basic?".

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel_at_sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at