Re: Code in the database or middle tier (the CLR controversy)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 06:58:03 -0700

William Stacey [MVP] wrote:
>>I agree with what you've said. But it opens the door for them to do
>>what they have generally been precluded from doing before: Design
>>tables, views, etc. It blurs the line. And having seen schemas
>>designed by Java developers I tremble in fear at what the VB crowd
>>might be capable of doing.

> - Not a VB programmer, but if I was, would be offended by that statement.
> You seem to have some issue with VB.

Then let me extend the perceived insult. Over the years I have seen RDBMS designs from C, C++, Java, Pascal, and many many other developers. And the number that were acceptable, not event good, can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

It is unrealistic and unreasonable to expect that someone with no formal training in a subject can do well in it. And that isn't just about front-end developers ... it is about any subject. I wouldn't want my pharmacist removing my gall bladder either.

The difference is that most people know their limitations or are precluded by laws from doing things they have not been trained to do. (and yes I am speaking of the professions here). My issue with those who write VB is that the number of them that connect to databases and thus think they have some level of expertise is high. The percentage of them that could make a decision with respect to denormalizing from 4NF to 3NF for performance quite small.

And this is just my experience so your mileage may vary.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org