Re: Can RedHat ASE 2.1 primary Oracle DB have SUSE physical standby?

From: John Bailo <jabailo_at_texeme.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:09:00 -0700

Dave wrote:
> We are trying to migrate or DB from RH 2.1 to SUSE 9,
> need to do it with no downtime (we have a standby).
>
> Can we re-create standby on SUSE platform and switch to it
> (e.g. will the redo logs generated by RedHat ASE 2.1
> 2.4.9-e.27enterprise be compatible with SUSE 9 kernel 2.6.5?)
>
> I know the primary db and standby must be the same OS,
> the question if those two linux distributions are compatible enough?

[Quoted] The OS will have nothing to do with it. You could do this between Solaris and SCO Unix if you wanted to.

The database server will have everything to do with it. If you're using a replication program that's part of the DBMS ( I guess Oracle in this situation ) it should work by connecting the databases using IP address...the two database servers will "talk" to each other using whatever protocol your DMBS vendor uses for replication.

Capisce?

--
Texeme
http://texeme.com