Re: gui for sqlplus?

From: Paul <paulsnewsgroups_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 17:28:27 +0100

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:32:57 +0100, Paul <paulsnewsgroups_at_hotmail.com>
>wrote:

>>??? Seems like a perfectly legitimate question asked in the correct
>>group (tools) to me.

>Just read the response of Martijn Tonies.

He's basically saying, "Take my product for a test drive" and makes it very clear in his sig that he works for the company in question. The OP asked about GUI tools for Oracle, it is perhaps not surprising that Mr. Tonies thinks the one that his company develops is good.

My own opinion is that "spamming" necessitates some level of deceit, hiding one's bone fides - in essence, being in some way dishonest. Mr. Tonies was not that, and I (personal opinion here) think that it was his open honest answer *_relevant_* to the question asked.

If this group was alt.group.cookies.fans and somebody asked "Which strawberry flavoured cookie is your favourite" and Mr. Tonies had responed "Well, I like brand XXX, but you might also find our Oracle tool useful", that *_would_* be spam, but in this context it was a legitimate reply.

>The OP's question results in misusing this group for commercial
>product announcements.

  1. your opinion (for which I normally have a lot of respect BTW)
  2. not the fault of the OP - if you had an issue with Mr. Tonies, why not reply to his post?

>Commercial products announcements belong in .marketplace.

Agreed. But, see above.

>Apart from that there have been sufficient other individuals, asking
>exactly the same question, with identical results.
>But evidently the OP is too lazy to search the archives.

Again, another issue. One of the facts of life here on usenet is that one sees the same questions pop up from time to time (I'm even thinking of sending a feature request to Agent "Reply (use standard)" (list createable by user) where "standard" could be)

What DB are you using?
What OS are your using?
What version are you using?

another could be

What has this got to do with Oracle?

or

This is spam.
Please post to .marketplace
Please apologise to the group and don't do this again or I will never consider purchasing your product

The list could obviously be longer than this.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.2.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, As a courtesy to those who spend
time analyzing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.