Re: I'm seeking for OCP certification ++ a challenge

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 07:26:00 -0400

"Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX_at_Xenquery .com> wrote in message news:-oidnakKjoiiQhjfRVn-gQ_at_comcast.com...

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>>> 2. That really does sound like the OCM. What certs would be
>>> available for the junior and somewhat experienced?
>>
>> None. There are no certifications for those that didn't make it
>> through law school or medical school and if certification is supposed
>> to mean something to the employer and the employed it must mean
>> something.
>>
>> And would there be a lot of current DBAs that wouldn't make it? Truly
>> I would hope so. Certification should not be part of a full employment
>> program. Few but more competent DBAs could easily handle the real load.
>> Industry would save money and the DBAs would make a lot more money just
>> as surgeons make more than general practitioners.
>>

> from the legal analogy: paralegals
>
> "Although most employers do not require certification, earning a voluntary
> certificate from a professional society may offer advantages in the labor
> market. The National Association of Legal Assistants, for example, has
> established standards for certification requiring various combinations of
> education and experience. Paralegals who meet these standards are eligible
> to take a 2-day examination, given three times each year at several
> regional testing centers. Those who pass this examination may use the
> designation Certified Legal Assistant (CLA). In addition, the Paralegal
> Advanced Competency Exam, established in 1996 and administered through the
> National Federation of Paralegal Associations, offers professional
> recognition to paralegals with a bachelor's degree and at least 2 years of
> experience. Those who pass this examination may use the designation
> Registered Paralegal (RP). " -- http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos114.htm
>
> here's the basic problem, though -- Oracle certification targets
> certification for a product. Medical and legal certifications focus on a
> discipline, not a product. In the medical field, there are certifications
> for specific equipment, which, however, likely involve a bit more exposure
> to liability on the part of the certificate issuer than does the OCP
> program.
>
> so, until basic certification database professional certification is
> decoupled from a specific product, it will be tainted.
>
> ++ mcs

[Quoted] Daniel, a challenge...

[Quoted] Why don't you reallocate some of your rant time to establishing such a professional organization, with the goal of issuing meaningful certifications?

You've identified some potential participants, and I'm sure your colleages and students could be tapped for support and assistance if you actually get serious about it. At least publish some serious papers about it.

++ mcs Received on Sat May 14 2005 - 13:26:00 CEST

Original text of this message