Re: OEM for iAS Application Server Control - Wrong Status Display

From: <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 13 May 2005 15:57:48 -0700

That is what is known as an "immature product." In other words, it sucks. Part of the reason it sucks is because the web model is stateless, and apache has been hacked on to try to be stateful. So it winds up mismatched between reality and recorded state in any number of conditions, and you wind up with mysterious clock displays that spin hands forever but may or may not be doing anything.

But that is just my observation and opinion, I understand database architecture but I don't understand this web stuff. And I don't think the people doing the web stuff understand handshaking and determinism, and perhaps they should. They seem to make a lot of unwarranted assumptions like "I told the service to come up, therefore it is coming up" and "I asked the service if it was up, and it used to be up, but it didn't say anything now, therefore it is up." Or is it the other way round?

And if you ask support about specific broken pieces, they just tell you to RTFM.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.destroyallhumansgame.com/globe.php