Re: packaging Oracle client installation

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 May 2005 09:03:40 -0700

Ray Porter wrote:
> Hi Andy,
> I've taken a quick look and it looks like this is just for 10g.
We're still
> on 9i though we will move to 10g at some point in the next few
months. I
> also don't think it deploys the OLEDB driver for Oracle and we need
that
> more than the ODBC drivers.
>
> Ray
>

> "Andy Hassall" <andy_at_andyh.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 4 May 2005 09:54:58 -0400, "Ray Porter"
<ray_porter_at_unc.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > >Is it possible to package the necessary files, etc., so the Oracle
> Windows
> > >client components (ODBC, OLEDB) can be installed without the
Universal
> > >Installer, by a client install application (for example,
InstallShield or

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/instantclient.html

> > The ODBC supplement has batch files for doing the setup - if it's
like
> the OCI
> > stuff, there's no sign of Universal Installer.
> >
> > It's a lot smaller than a normal client install but it's still not
> exactly
> > lightweight - you're looking at 32MB.
> >
> > I haven't used the ODBC parts of Instant Client - just the OCI
ones, and
> the
> > JDBC Thin driver (which is particularly convenient as it's very
small, and
> can
> > be easily deployed over Java Web Start along with a Java
application).

> > --
> > Andy Hassall / <andy_at_andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk>
> > <http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis
tool

You can investigate the silent install option. It should be documented in install guide. Look at client*.rsp files located in Disk1\Response directory.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Thu May 05 2005 - 18:03:40 CEST

Original text of this message