Re: Q: differences between HTML DB and Portal

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 10:37:11 +0100

"Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:d4adf2$d4c$3_at_news4.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> LDAP, SSO are Portal, not HTMLDB.

Not sure what you mean here Frank. You can do LDAP authentication of users with HTMLDB, I know I've done it. It is supplied out of the box. You can also integrate HTMLDB to 9iAS (or indeed 10gAS or whatever it is now) as a partner application using the sso_sdk
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/htmldb/howtos/sso_partner_app.html has details. There is an important note about this not being supported by Oracle support but by the HTMLDB community though.

> Probably more, and there's probably some whitebook at oracle
> to explain the differences.

Not aware of such a book, though
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/htmldb/pdf/HTML_DB_Overview.pdf is a pretty good guide to what HTMLDB is and isn't.

In particular Portal is aimed at enterprise customers who want to provide a consistent integrated interface to their applications. HTMLDB is aimed at RAD for relatively small scale single applications (though I'm guessing http://asktom.oracle.com is rather larger scale than many enterprise portals :))

Cheers

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA