Re: Reports: right alignment in fields problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 20:31:32 +0200

On 3 May 2005 08:49:22 -0700, "Asimov5" <asimov5_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have developed a report that will show a column account numbers (wich
>can contain dashes or not). The report looks fine when I view it on the
>screen in client/server mode, and generated pdf file looks fine also.
>Then I move it to the web and choose PDF format for the output.
>
>When I run the report over the web, I see that the account numbers with
>dashes are not lining up with the account numbers containing no dashes.
> I have tried to change the column alignment without success. It is
>only when you use a UNIX server that this occurs.
>
>My account number field is a varchar2(20).
>
>The only way to line them up correctly is to change the font in the
>layout editor from Arial to Courrier. The thing is that the user does
>want the same font (Arial) for all fields.
>
>I'm using Reports 6i...and even tested with Reports 10g with the same
>result...
>
>Anyone as a clue on how to do it or if it feasable ?
>
>Thank you!

I don't think this is an Oracle issue. Your problem is you are using a socalled proportional font (not all letters have the same width) and apparently the font definitions between Winblows and *Nix are not identical. As you can't adjust Winblows font, and (assuming X) you can adjust X-fonts, you probably need to experiment on the X-side, or convince the end-user to use a non-proportional font and have his report look ugly.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA