Re: Common pro*c code for both Oracle and non-Oracle environments

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Apr 2005 10:35:54 -0700

Mark C. Stock wrote:
> "Golan" <bcg008_at_mot.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a PRO*C code that may run also on PCs where Oracle is not
> > installed. In this case ofcourse the code that read & write from
the
> > database should be ignored.
> > What should I specify in the code so the oricedures with the
database
> > access will be ignored in case Oracle is not installed?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> your initial attempt to connect to the database will fail -- just
record
> that fact in the variable of your choice, and check that variable in
your
> code before attempting any database access
>
> ++ mcs

Doesn't Pro*C require Oracle client to be installed for remote connections (atleast middleware SQL*Net/Net8/Net9 etc at minimum)?. If so, then how could he launch the process without required Oracle client dll's installed before even attempting a connection?

Regards
/Rauf Received on Wed Apr 06 2005 - 19:35:54 CEST

Original text of this message