Re: sql psp portal - help

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:31:34 +0100

cynthih_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I was recently asked to resurrect an Oracle project shelved
> several years ago. I know almost nothing about Oracle. So,
> I barely know where to start.
>
> There is a windows application that connects to an Oracle server
> via the Internet, and I was told that the "oracle code was developed
> against Oracle 8 and makes use of their web portal stuff" and it uses
> PL/SQL.
>
> The oracle code consists of a bunch of .sql and .psp files. I was
> told that if I loaded the oracle code into oracle, it should work.
>
> I started by downloading Oracle9i Database and installing it on
> XP Pro. But, now I think I need the Application Server.
>
> Do I need the Application Server?
> Do I need the Database?
> How do I get the code into Oracle?
> Will there be a problem with using code for Oracle 8 with a newer
> version?
>
> Would there be any difference/problem using Linux or Solaris
> instead of XP Pro if the code was originally developed under Windows?
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I do have to disagree with two fellow-posters here.

The Apache by Oracle, as well as the pl/sql module have been standard install with the database since 8.0. 10g may have changed that, and you may need the Companion CD for Apache by Oracle, but certainly you do *not* need iAS (the Application Server)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel