Re: Newbie With Forms & IAS - help please.

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:24:55 +0100

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> If users are to share forms, does that "require" me to be running a web
> server of some sort? Or, are the forms stored somehow in the database
> and the client machine just gets the form?

All possible. Not required.
1) Yes you can run forms on the web, thus "sharing" your forms. 2) Yes, you can run (up to, and including Forms V6i) in client/server

    mode,
2a) storing the forms definitions on a central file server, or 2b) use the database as a fileserver.

> Since I do not know anything about Forms or Developer, I'm unsure on
> what is requried.

So am I

> My company wants to take a bunch of data from a legacy system, load the
> data into Oracle tables, then develop forms to view that data.

Well - get sorted out for whom your company develops these forms. Why use forms at all, and not Java, or plain PL/SQL through the PL/SQL Web Gateway?

> With that said, do I need any server application installed at all? Why
> install iAS, unless the users will be viewing the forms via the
> intranet, right?

Yes - or your users want the latest version - which does no longer support the Client/Server Model...

> I just need some good install and explain documentation.......

And get your wires straight. I still have no background information about the targeted audience (your customers), nor what versions you run, or plan to run

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel