Re: sql psp portal - help

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:13:41 GMT

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:35:53 -0500, Mark C. Stock wrote:

> (not the PHP language as indicated in another post)

Ouch - that'll teach me to answer the question and not what I thought I read. To make amends, here is a relevant answer:

Basically the process is:

  1. create a stored procedure, or package, in the database. That should use the UTL_HTP (and related) to do the database operations and format any results that should go back to the originator (browser)
  2. Access the package from a client, such as a browser, through an OHS [Oracle HTTP Server Powered By Apache] and mod_plsql. This could be the OHS server embedded with the database that supports iSQLPLUS, although Oracle seems to be pushing the App Server to handle mod_plsql requests.
  3. To do something equivalent to ASP or JSP, you can write a PL/SQL Server page that embeds PL/SQL in a primarily HTML page. SOme additional info from the DB side is in the "Application Developer's Guide - Fundamentals" in the sections
	Debugging PL/SQL Server Page Problems
	Include Directive
	Page Directive

My impression is that Oracle seems to be moving away from loadpsp towards PHP, although mod_plsql still seems to have a significant future.

Configuration for the mod_plsql is in the Application Server documentation. For 10g (which I HIGHLY recommend) the mod_plsql user's guide is at http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14099_03/web.htm

/FGB Received on Tue Mar 22 2005 - 16:13:41 CET

Original text of this message