Re: sql psp portal - help

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:43:00 -0500

"Manish KUmar" <manishdeshpande_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1111496853.936879.48370_at_l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Mark,
> I have been going through the post and the replies. The last one
> below is nearly correct. The only thing not right is calling "Apache
> mod_plsql" as Oracle Web Toolkit. The latter is a pl/sql toolkit that
> contains Oracle Packages that are used in Web application development.
> To come straight to the point you can load any ".PSP" file into the
> database with the loadpsp command as given below:
> "loadpsp -replace -user <un>/<pw>[_at_<conn.str>] file1.psp file2.psp"
>
> The above command helps you load file1.psp and file2.psp into an Oracle
> database. For beginners on PSP please refer the following url, which is
> really great:
> http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/9i/PLSQLServerPages9i.php
>
> In case you have any queries/questions on PSP technology, feel free to
> contact me on manishdeshpande_at_gmail.com, I would prefer that you
> contact me thru this forum/group as it will help in knowledge
> dissemination to many people.
>
> Regards.
> Manish.
>
> Mark C. Stock wrote:
>> <cynthih_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >I wished I didn't have to be so vague, but part of the problem
>> > is I don't know much more.

>> > I don't know what version of Oracle 8 it was, and Oracle 8 is
>> > no longer available for download. So, unless I can find a copy
>> > of Oracle 8, I'm not going to be able to start there.
>> >
>> > Maybe someone could explain to me how to run psp and sql files
>> > under Oracle 9 or 10.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>> Cynthih,
>>
>> PSP probably refers to 'PL/SQL Server Pages' -- (not the PHP language
> as
>> indicated in another post) which was intended by Oracle to be a
> PL/SQL
>> equivalent of ASP or JSP, but actually requires translation into
> PL/SQL
>> stored procedures (forget the exact tool that's used-- it's really,
> IMO, not
>> a good approach to web development).
>>
>> The bottom line is that Oracle's mod_plsql Appache module is needed
> (also
>> referred to as the PL/SQL Web Toolkit) -- which is typically part of
>> Oracle's Application Server installation.
>>
>> If you are unfamiliar with the Oracle database, I would not recommend
> that
>> you try to get the application to work without help from an
> experienced
>> Oracle developer -- there's a lot to learn, and it's tougher when
> you're
>> trying to get someone else's code to work.
>>
>> ++ mcs

you must be new around here....

thanks for the reminder on loadpsp -- as i mentioned, i do not recommend it as a development path, as it is cumbersome to organize and maintain project code, so i had forgotten what the command is to translate the PSP files into PL/SQL procedures.

you're splitting hairs on terminology, but to be more precise, mod_plsql is the Apache module that is required when using the Web PL/SQL Toolkit, which is the set of packages required to use the mod_plsql -- both of which are required when using PSP files and loadpsp.

++ mcs Received on Tue Mar 22 2005 - 14:43:00 CET

Original text of this message