Re: Read Text file into Oracle Reports

From: Paul <paulsnewsgroups_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:54:04 +0000

"Rishka" <rishka_at_webmail.co.za> wrote:

>I a newbie to Oracle Reports, our requirement is to write a report from
>a text file on the UNIX box, not from a database table.
>I have knowledge of PL/SQL, and the UTL_FILE ppackage to extract the
>file data and manipulate it..
>I would write a stored procedure for this, but our managers do not want
>us to write this data to a table and read it from there...

Why? Create a whole new database with just one table, just to reassure them that this transferred data can in no way affect the live db?

>Is it possible to extract data using PL/SQL from a text file into
>Oracle Reports?

>Please advise, or point me to the correct help..

The only thing that I can think of is to read the file into something else that Oracle can read - maybe another database? There are some very good free ones out there!

 And then through *_that_* connection via ODBC or whatever, you can then write your report? Maybe even Excel?

 Be sure and explain to your "manager" that these extra steps take time and also complicate things, leading to an increased risk of errors being introduced.

Paul...

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

if Oracle group then