Re: Version control of Oracle Stored Objects.

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:57:49 +0100

Andy wrote:

> Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<d0a0jo$tqj$1_at_news5.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>...
>

>>Lig wrote:
>>
>>>We have an implementation of Oracle 9i database. We have a team of 20
>>>developers working on a project. We use PL/SQL DEVELOPER and Visual
>>>Source Safe to cotrol the source.
>>>
>>>The problem we have at the moment is one of version control.For the
>>>moment, 2 developers can edit and compile a package.Because the package
>>>is compiled on the DB Server,It is possible that a source being edited
>>>by a developer could be overwritten by another.There is nothing in
>>>PL/SQL that forces a user to check out and edit. We have Visual Source
>>>safe fully integrated into PL/SQL Developer.But that's only as much as
>>>it gets.VSS is not ORacle aware.
>>>

>>>Are there any products out there that can be used for Version
>>>controlling Oracle Stored Objects that are Oracle Aware?
>>>
>>>Is there a better way of doing this?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>Lig
>>>
>>>Pl reply to
>>>lignite AT iol DOT ie
>>
>>install the CVS interface in PL/SQL Developer:
>>http://www.allroundautomations.nl/plsvcs.html
>

> How can 2 developers edit a package when VSS is (supposedly) being
> used?  This sounds like developers not using source control properly
> and editing PL/SQL on the fly.   Prehaps you should get your DBA to
> revoke the CREATE PACKAGE/FUNCTION/PROCEDURE privilige from the
> developers and only let your DBA perform releases to the appropriate
> environments
>
> Andy

Well, when it is *not* used...
The dilemma is how to enforce that it *is* used; there are numerous options to change the code, without using VSS, thus compromising the project.
But surprising the developers with an empty database does help, occasionally :)
"Hey, just restore from VSS <g>".
--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel