Re: tool drawing ora9 database relation schema???

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:24:15 GMT

[Quoted] On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:11:07 +0100, Frank van Bortel wrote:

> GreyBeard wrote:
> [snip]

>> Also: UML diagrams can also be achieved in JDeveloper (which is also
>> part of the Developer Suite bundle)

> Can JDeveloper reverse engineer, like Designer can?
> Because that was the OP's request.

[Quoted] From the JDeveloper 10g (9.0.5.1) OBE entitled "Designing, Modeling and Generating Database Tables":

Step 3 - Import Tables from a Database
Connection

Now that you have a blank database diagram, you can directly import tables from the database connection by dragging them onto the diagram. Importing the tables creates the offline table definitions which you will work with before creating the DDL to create new tables in a database.

  1. To import tables from the connection you have to the database, click the Connections tab so that the Connections Navigator is visible, or choose View | Connection Navigator. Expand the Database, and HR nodes to see all the database elements available through this connection.

I acknowledge the above technique may not fit within the requirements or definition of 'Reverse Engineering'.

FWIW: I believe Designer is the better tool for this. IMO, JDeveloper is trying to become a JOAT tool, which has it's uses. (But for close combat a Bayonet may be better than a Swiss Army knife.)

/FGB Received on Mon Feb 28 2005 - 16:24:15 CET

Original text of this message