novell to windows 2003 migration

From: paul tomlinson <paul_tomlin_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2005 05:31:17 -0800

We've got an oracle based application that has been running happily on our Novell box for years

[Quoted] we've tried migrating it to a Windows 2003 server, the data copies across ok but when we attempt to launch the client we recieve an error ORA-12203 "unable to connect to destination"

The old TNSNAMES file is below

BK_ENGINEERING-spx.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = BK_ENGINEERING-spx.world)
(PROTOCOL = SPX)
(Service = BK_ENGINEERING_LSNR)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = RED)
    )
  )

The newly created one is below:

ORATCP = (DESCRIPTION=
(ADDRESS=

            (PROTOCOL=TCP)
            (HOST=sbsserver)
            (PORT=1521)
           )
           (CONNECT_DATA=
             (SID=DB1)
           )
          )
ORADCE=(DESCRIPTION=
         (ADDRESS=
           (PROTOCOL=DCE)
           (SERVER_PRINCIPAL=oracle)
           (CELL_NAME=cell1)
           (SERVICE=dce_svc)
          )

(CONNECT_DATA=
(SID=ORASID) ) )

the section that concerns me is the services section - i've installed no services on the Server, i just assumed it would work using the mapped drives

Anyone have any suggestions? Received on Sat Feb 05 2005 - 14:31:17 CET

Original text of this message