Tools to test a restored Oracle DB

From: Charles Morrall <charles.morrall_at_telia.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:12:02 GMT

[Quoted] A large part of my work duties involve designing, implementing and to some extent maintaining backup & recovery solutions. It is not limited to Oracle, rather I have to deal with file systems, mail servers, application servers etc spread over quite a few platforms. This of course makes it difficult to be expert in each particular application or database engine. I from time to time have to configure backup and recovery of Oracle. Most backup software packages come with an agent or module for Oracle, which is as far as I've gathered a front for RMAN. Be that as it may, I'll just have to do some homework. Which brings me to the question; in order to test a backup and recovery solution I'm looking for a tool or set of tools that will ideally allow me to:
  • Generate a typical load for a database server, adding records, updating records, deleting records etc.
  • Record a "now" state, where each part of the system is health checked so I have a baseline.
  • After I've blown the entire server away and restored the data from backup the tool will compare the status of the server with the previously established baseline to determine if I've been successful in recovering the entire system and everything is operational again.

I'm primarily looking at Windows based Oracle servers, and that's where my skill set is in general. However, I will have to configure backup and recovery on Solaris and HP-UX as well. Since designing and implementing backup and recovery solutions in hetergenous environment is more or less a full time job in itself, I hope you understand I don't have the time or resources to invest more than necessary to be reasonably confident I can handle recovery of Oracle.
Any pointers are appreciated.
/charles Received on Sat Jan 29 2005 - 21:12:02 CET

Original text of this message