Re: There are no Oracle gurus!

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:46:50 -0800

sky_diver__at_excite.com wrote:

>>So why didn't you provide the helping hand instead of
>>criticizing my response?

> Because (A) I don't pretend to be an Oracle expert
> and (B) you needed the criticism.
>
> I've been reading Oracle topics in newsgroups for a couple of months
> now and I have found little to no useful information in all that text.
> Most respondants either tell you to hire a DBA, go back to school, or
> try to change the subject.

Most responses either point to a reference with the solution or provide the code or sufficiently large a hint to solve the problem.

And as someone else has pointed out ... if those like you bothered to read past the first sentence you'd have seen that I did, in fact, provide a complete answer.

>>It would be unethical in many situations to help someone.
>>That might be because they are cheating on school work,
>>it might be because they are perceived as being dangerous.
>>It would be totally irresponsible for me, or anyone else here,
>>to advise someone on how to break into a system or how to
>>recover from a service loss where the OP's inability to follow
>>the directions,  or appreciate nuances, might cause more
>>harm than good.

> Good Gracious - What a cop-out!

Re-read the first sentence you wrote:

[Quoted] "(A) I don't pretend to be an Oracle expert"

Yet you feel fully qualified to comment on the rationale behind their thinking. Do you run around hospitals criticizing surgeons when they advise a patient against a risky surgical procedure too?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington