Re: HTML DB

From: <david.rydzewski_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2005 19:56:37 -0800

Lee -

When I first started using it, the development environment looked odd, and that is partly a result of this environment being web-based itself. But once you get into it, it will seem more logical.

Create a simple application based on a data schema you already know.

Applications have pages. Pages have regions. HTML DB is template based, so when you create a region, you can position it in one of several defined areas within the page. There are different kinds of pre-defined regions like a SQL-report or chart, or just a plain old region where you can type in your own HTML.

Within regions you can create items or buttons (really you create them within the page, but you must pick the region they show up in.) An item, can be anything like a text box, select list, date picker, etc. The data entered into these items is automatically tracked within the user's HTTP session and can be referenced from within sql or pl/sql defined in the ui using the bind variable format (e.g., :P1_EMP_ID )

When you create a button (e.g., "your button") with action "Submit Page and Redirect to URL" this really creates a button *and* a "branch" which you'll see under branching. Go into the branch, you'll see that it gets conditionally executed when "your button" is clicked. Conditional execution and display are important concepts to grasp.

Similarly, you could create a process of type "PL/SQL anonymous block" that runs some code (e.g., insert into emp ( emp_id ) values ( :P1_EMP_ID ); ) and is only conditionally executed when "your button" is clicked.

Try something out, and when you get stuck, post the question. I'd be happy to help if I can.

Dave Received on Tue Jan 11 2005 - 04:56:37 CET

Original text of this message