Re: PL/SQL calls windows service

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2005 02:10:02 -0800

Lee wrote:

<snip>

> This is very slick, gives you the equivalent of the Sql*Plus "HOST"
> command, but isnt there a "permissions" problem?
>
> There's code running inside oracle (the Java interpreter in this
case)
> now that needs permission to execute cmd.exe .
>
> I wonder why Oracle diddnt give us a "host" command in pl/sql "out
of
> the box" ?

You would normally handle permissions inside Oracle via roles etc. e.g. grant execute on foo_packge to foo_role; and then grant foo_role to foo_user. This is pretty robust.
Throw Java in the mix and now you also need to deal with Java's SecurityManager. Fortunately, there is a method called DBMS_JAVA.GRANT_PERMISSION which can used to grant Java related permissions to any role/user from inside Oracle.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Mon Jan 10 2005 - 11:10:02 CET

Original text of this message